About Buchtel CLC
The Buchtel Community Learning Center was open to students on August 29, 2012. Our students have made some of the greatest gains of all APS high schools. Each year our graduates earn thousands of dollars in scholarships. Buchtel CLC has strong partnerships within the community, including the Akron Realtist Association, which, since 2004, has taken part in Reality Check, a program that gives our 10th-grade students real-world experiences.
Students interested in gaming and simulation are provided with practical experiences in game/simulation conceptualization, design, storyboarding, development methodologies, essential programming techniques and implementation issues. Specialized programming skills involving advanced mathematical calculations, and physics are also integrated into the curriculum. Students will have the opportunity to earn industry certifications in Adobe products such as Flash and Animate.
Buchtel CLC 6-8 Mission
Our commitment is to educate and provide a safe learning environment where students are empowered to be innovative, life-long learners, and prepared to contribute in a global society.
Buchtel CLC 6-8 Vision:
The vision is raising student achievement through strong relationships with students, staff and parents, and focusing on work that is engaging, relevant and authentic.
History of Buchtel CLC 6-8
The state-of-the-art Buchtel Community Learning Center is named in honor of John R. Buchtel (1822-92), one of Akron's leading industrialists, business leaders and philanthropists. He was also one of the early inventors in the rubber company of Dr. Benjamin F. Goodrich. Buchtel is best remembered for his role in the founding of the Universalist College originally named in his honor, which today is The University of Akron. Over the course of his life, Buchtel and his wife contributed more than $500,000 to the college. The new building was completed in fall of 2012 and opened to students on August 29, 2012. The original high school building was constructed in 1931 and underwent numerous renovations in 1955, 1971 and 1984, when the gymnasium was added.